You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

calculating time using numbers

I want to calculate time taken on a task. The data are: start time, end time, and time in between taken for rest or non-task use. I put down these numbers in cells formatted for time but not date:

B3: start time: 12:30AM

B4: total time off: 0:15

B5: end tine: 8:30 AM

The formula= B:5-B:4-B:3 yielded an error message to the effect that times cannot be subtracted from numbers. As noted: all cells were formatted as time. Also, =B:5-B4 yielded an answer. =B5-B3 also yielded an answer. How do I fix this problem?

I

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 1:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 7:07 PM

EDITED:

Delete the 0:15 from the one cell. Format the cell as a duration with units of hr:min. Type 15m into the cell. Should work then. Numbers assumed the 0:15 you typed was 12:15 AM (00:15 in military time), not a duration of 15 minutes.

2 replies

calculating time using numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.