You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music (Mac OS 1.0.6.10) Very cumbersome method to achieve song list by artist/album. Any easier way?

Hallo. In the old iTunes you could search for an artist in the song list pane and have the list appear.

In the replacement music app you can do it but only by clicking on songs in the left pane and then (having added artists and albums as filter panes across the top) MANUALLY finding the artist (no search) and then album

Phaww!!

A lot of work compared with the old iTunes method. I like seeing a list of songs and dont like big chunky song icons

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 5:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 7:10 PM

Thanks and that's all fine and good, but it does not solve the problem of removing simple key strokes from an already overweight iTunes to simply get to the current song playing with good ole Command L. Half the key strokes from the original version are simply gone even thought they worked well. Why does Apple not talk to music industry people like our entire team beforehand who have been using iTunes since it launched? It's our main music database, and every version gets less user friendly and filled with mouse requirements. Does anyone really want more mouse or more track pad to deal with?

So I digress because this is the worst version of iTunes yet.

The BUG in the program is this: If I'm in SONG view and hit Command L, it goes OUT of SONG view and to some album view.

If I want the last 4 albums I downloaded in song view alpha by artist album I can't just stay in that view. That is a bug. Right?

Bug 2: Option Command F is "Filter", fine. IF you're already in SONG view. But it does not work after Command L is used to get to current track. It then sends one BACK to this useless Album? view. and so then one Still has to tap the SONG button to get back to the list of songs in the most recently added few albums. This makes no sense.

So essentially everyone in my entire office (and I'm assuming a lot of other offices similar to ours-I've spoken to 4) now has to do 3 or 4 clicks and commands to get to where One key stroke used to take us.

If I sound frustrated it is because I am. We all are. it makes no sense to us the direction iTunes has been going, when it was the best song file database and player in the industry for a decade. Our non-industry friends gave up on it years ago.

So who is it targeting? That's my ultimate question. Coz it's not a devoted music industry.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2020 7:10 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks and that's all fine and good, but it does not solve the problem of removing simple key strokes from an already overweight iTunes to simply get to the current song playing with good ole Command L. Half the key strokes from the original version are simply gone even thought they worked well. Why does Apple not talk to music industry people like our entire team beforehand who have been using iTunes since it launched? It's our main music database, and every version gets less user friendly and filled with mouse requirements. Does anyone really want more mouse or more track pad to deal with?

So I digress because this is the worst version of iTunes yet.

The BUG in the program is this: If I'm in SONG view and hit Command L, it goes OUT of SONG view and to some album view.

If I want the last 4 albums I downloaded in song view alpha by artist album I can't just stay in that view. That is a bug. Right?

Bug 2: Option Command F is "Filter", fine. IF you're already in SONG view. But it does not work after Command L is used to get to current track. It then sends one BACK to this useless Album? view. and so then one Still has to tap the SONG button to get back to the list of songs in the most recently added few albums. This makes no sense.

So essentially everyone in my entire office (and I'm assuming a lot of other offices similar to ours-I've spoken to 4) now has to do 3 or 4 clicks and commands to get to where One key stroke used to take us.

If I sound frustrated it is because I am. We all are. it makes no sense to us the direction iTunes has been going, when it was the best song file database and player in the industry for a decade. Our non-industry friends gave up on it years ago.

So who is it targeting? That's my ultimate question. Coz it's not a devoted music industry.

Nov 10, 2020 10:35 AM in response to darkstar2014

darkstar2014 wrote:

Filter field? I tried that but it only seems to search for a song title within the playlist you are trying to add to, not the larger library. did I miss something?

Yes. Many users are familiar with the ability to filter down the current playlist to a specific artist, album, genre, etc. It has been a well used feature of the library when selecting content to play or edit that has been present in iTunes for as long as I've been using it, at least thirteen years. You may not need it, which is fine, but burying this feature (originally left out altogether) and making it clunky to bring to life is a real drag for those that want to use it.

tt2

Nov 12, 2020 6:46 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. Honestly i have no idea what you are referring to. My problem was being able to call up a song while in a playlist. Itunes not only had a field to do that but a dropdown box appeared with all versions of the song along with the artists complete list. I found field filter and the button to choose my entire library but not only can you now not get a dropdown but you cannot just drag and put it in the exact spot in the playlist. The playlist disappears actually making placing impossible so you can only drag the song into the list on the left into the playlist but then have to reopen the playlist you were working in and go to the bottom of the list where the song was dropped and then place it where you want within playlist

i agree with poster who commented that this "improvement" is inferior and less user friendly now which is mystifying

Nov 12, 2020 7:49 AM in response to darkstar2014

If you simply want to add a song to an existing playlist you can right-click on the song and use the Add to Playlist context menu. To add at a specific location find the playlist you're going to want to add to first in the sidebar, right-click and Open in New Windows. You can then drag and drop from a source in the library or other playlist to the right place in the target playlist.

tt2

Music (Mac OS 1.0.6.10) Very cumbersome method to achieve song list by artist/album. Any easier way?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.