You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reinstall MacOS when the reboot utility says it needs an internet connection

iCloud on my 2018 iMac appears to be corrupt. I tried to turn it off, planning to turn it back on after a fresh boot, but I get a message that I must wait to sync two files, followed by an option to go forward anyhow—but iCloud remains installed and faulty. I opted to just reinstall MacOS to start clean. But when I get into disc utility and select “reinstall MacOS,” I’m told I need an internet connection (I assume WiFi is not available in the reboot state.) any thoughts on how to dig out and start fresh?

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 4:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 7:48 AM

You don't explain what your iCloud problems are, so we can't comment on them. Wi fi should normally be available on a reboot state. However, I don't recommend using it because a new OS installation involves the transfer of a lot of data and it can often become corrupted. Then the OS can't be installed, the OS loader has to be put into the trash and another download attempted. I urge you to move the computer temporarily to where your modem is and connect it with an ethernet cable, then do the download. This is much safer and more secure. Also, you should first back up your data to ensure that nothing is lost.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2020 7:48 AM in response to DLMartin

You don't explain what your iCloud problems are, so we can't comment on them. Wi fi should normally be available on a reboot state. However, I don't recommend using it because a new OS installation involves the transfer of a lot of data and it can often become corrupted. Then the OS can't be installed, the OS loader has to be put into the trash and another download attempted. I urge you to move the computer temporarily to where your modem is and connect it with an ethernet cable, then do the download. This is much safer and more secure. Also, you should first back up your data to ensure that nothing is lost.

How to reinstall MacOS when the reboot utility says it needs an internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.