You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to make contact photo full screen on iphone XR (photo stays as small thumbnail)

Almost all of my contact photo appear as a small thumbnail instead of as the full screen when I get a call, and I cannot fix them so that they are all full screen.

I have tried the following methods that I have read about online to fix the issue, and still, nothing:

• Go into Contacts, tap Edit on a contact's photo, slightly shift the photo around, press Done. Had the number call me and it was still a thumbnail
  • Go into Favorites, either add that contact to favorites or select the contact from favorites, and change the photo from there. Photo still comes up as a thumbnail.
  • Went onto icloud.com on my laptop to edit the photo from there. Photo still comes up as thumbnail.
  • Went into Photos app, selected a photo, pressed Add to Contact, set the photo that way. Photo still comes up as thumbnail.
  • Tried the method through Photos app but with having the picture in mind cropped to Square, and photo still comes up as a thumbnail.

If anyone has any tips that I haven't listed, I would really love to hear them. I'm getting frustrated that, even with a new model phone, I can't customize it to my preferred experience.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 7:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 3:23 AM

You need to do this for each and every contact. The process initially may seem weird but works well.

1. Open a contact
  2. Click Edit
  3. Click Edit below the Picture
  4. Select Edit Photo
  5. Move the Circle around the image (just move randomly, a bit)
  6. Choose Photo
  7. Click Done
  8. Next time when you receive call from this contact, it will be full screen!!!!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2020 3:23 AM in response to bubblingpotions

You need to do this for each and every contact. The process initially may seem weird but works well.

1. Open a contact
  2. Click Edit
  3. Click Edit below the Picture
  4. Select Edit Photo
  5. Move the Circle around the image (just move randomly, a bit)
  6. Choose Photo
  7. Click Done
  8. Next time when you receive call from this contact, it will be full screen!!!!

Unable to make contact photo full screen on iphone XR (photo stays as small thumbnail)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.