You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot insert footnote in book in pages.app

Hello!

I cannot insert footnotes in a book I am drafting in Pages.app with a view to producing an epub.

I have tried selecting a word, clicking in front of it, clicking after it, but Insert/Footnote is always greyed out.

What am I doing that is wrong?

In contrast, I have no difficulty in inserting a footnote in an ordinary Pages document.

Thanks for your help!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 6:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 6:36 AM

If you are in a Page Layout document, and entering text in a Text box, then there is no footnote insertion capability. It will remain gray on the Insert menu. Footnotes are for regular Pages word processing documents.

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 10, 2020 7:22 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for that quick reply which answers my question!

I did not realise that the pages created in a book model in Pages.app are technically text boxes. I thought text boxes were boxes created manually.

Up until now I have used iBooksAuthor to create books. I have been trying out Pages to create a book but the software still lacks several very useful iBA features. In particular it does not yet have the equivalent of the "glossary" function which I use often to explain technical words or give additional but not essential information. Footnotes would have been a good substitution. Perhaps when the new OS is published in September / October Pages.app may have been beefed up.

Cannot insert footnote in book in pages.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.