You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Xs can't sync with iMac (Catalina)

Ok, I've seen similar questions asked a lot, but haven't found an answer that helps. (I've called Apple Support, too.) Using iPhone xs (iOS 13.6) & iMac with Catalina 10.15.6). Since Catalina, every time I try to sync my purchased and downloaded music from my library with my iPhone, when I connect them the "charging" icon on the iPhone flashes on/off. Even if it stays on, the iPhone doesn't show continuously (if it shows at all) in the finder window->locations. It might show for a moment or two then disappears, so the iPhone can't sync. When I go under iMac's system information, regardless of whether or not the iPhone is showing in the finder window, it shows under USB devices.

I've tried switching cables and USB ports--no difference. However, those same cables and ports are able to sync an older iPad. The iPhone charges fine into a wall or portable charger using the same cables, so I assume that the iPhone connecting port is fine.

I've used disk first aid--no change; I've even reinstalled the Mac OS at the suggestion of Support--this didn't fix the issue. As I've said, I've seen the question asked a lot here and elsewhere and not found a fix that helps. I've got to assume that it has something to do with Catalina and or iOS 13.x because it used to sync fine pre-Catalina.

Thoughts?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 8:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 9:05 AM

So, just in case others are having this same issue, another call to Apple support seems to have fixed it!👍 After reviewing all that I’ve tried i first unplugged all usb connections, then reset the SMC (shutdown, unplug power cord for about 15 secs.). When I restarted, we did a reset of the PRAM (keeping usb devices unplugged). When the restart completed, the iPhone synced without any issues. To check, I made changes to playlists, added music and it synced again with no issues.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Rob Westle

So, just in case others are having this same issue, another call to Apple support seems to have fixed it!👍 After reviewing all that I’ve tried i first unplugged all usb connections, then reset the SMC (shutdown, unplug power cord for about 15 secs.). When I restarted, we did a reset of the PRAM (keeping usb devices unplugged). When the restart completed, the iPhone synced without any issues. To check, I made changes to playlists, added music and it synced again with no issues.

Iphone Xs can't sync with iMac (Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.