You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air 2019 makes loud fan noise and then shuts off?

Recently, my macbook air has randomly been shutting down. I’ll be using it when randomly the mouse stops working, I hear a loud fan noise, and then it shuts off. It restarts completely fine, but this is the 3rd time it’s happened in the last 36 hours (and 3rd time ever). I saw a previous post about this exact situation, except there were no replies. As a new college student who has just started online classes, i need to be able to rely on my mac for simple tasks, yet even today when joining my class the same incident happened.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 9:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 11:00 AM

Please determine if the following is applicable: If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support.

If not, determining the cause can be time-consuming as you correlate the shutdowns to something you installed. If you want additional suggestions please write back.

You might try "Safe Mode" long enough to determine if it shuts down while using your Mac in that mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. It probably will not shut down in Safe Mode but then again it's not convenient to use a Mac in that mode for a prolonged period of time. If it does shut down though, a hardware fault is almost certain to be the cause.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 20, 2020 11:00 AM in response to jerseyboy897

Please determine if the following is applicable: If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support.

If not, determining the cause can be time-consuming as you correlate the shutdowns to something you installed. If you want additional suggestions please write back.

You might try "Safe Mode" long enough to determine if it shuts down while using your Mac in that mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. It probably will not shut down in Safe Mode but then again it's not convenient to use a Mac in that mode for a prolonged period of time. If it does shut down though, a hardware fault is almost certain to be the cause.

Macbook Air 2019 makes loud fan noise and then shuts off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.