You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaCie external drive malfunction

I started getting notifications that my Lacie external drive was not ejected properly. (I never disconnect it from my desktop iMac). At first rarely, then more frequently. Finally it said it could not access the drive. I went to chat on Apple Support and they suggested resetting the SMC and NVRAM and running in safe mode. I did all three and the problem seems to have disappeared. Any suggestions on what I should check?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 12:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 12:19 PM

furryoneOne wrote:

I started getting notifications that my Lacie external drive was not ejected properly.

Perhaps the data cable is faulty so it keeps connecting and disconnecting the drive.

Finally it said it could not access the drive. I went to chat on Apple Support and they suggested resetting the SMC and NVRAM and running in safe mode. I did all three and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Any suggestions on what I should check?

Replace the cable!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2020 12:19 PM in response to furryoneOne

furryoneOne wrote:

I started getting notifications that my Lacie external drive was not ejected properly.

Perhaps the data cable is faulty so it keeps connecting and disconnecting the drive.

Finally it said it could not access the drive. I went to chat on Apple Support and they suggested resetting the SMC and NVRAM and running in safe mode. I did all three and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Any suggestions on what I should check?

Replace the cable!

LaCie external drive malfunction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.