You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad locked

My wife recently turned on her ipad mini and it asked for icloud authentication before going any further. Her icloud account was set up buy her son - he chose the password and has now forgotten it. But never fear - we have the security questions. Guess what - he chose the questions and has forgotten what answers he entered. He is not a native English speaker so maybe he didn't understand the importance of what he was entering.

Her ipad is now locked. I have previously contacted apple support and was told to go to 'I forgot". It says that apple can send us an email to i******.com . Unfortunately my wife and her son don't know what this account is. Hence the 'iforgot' feature is of no use.

We still have the original packaging with the imei number and we should be able get a copy of proof of purchase from our isp.

Our local apple authorised agent has told us that apple should be able to send a signal or something to the ipad to unlock it remotely. Or help us to set up a completely new icloud account. The ipad contains all her photos from several overseas trips and she really wants them back.

Can anybody suggest what out next step could be?

iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 1:22 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 29, 2020 3:23 AM in response to kulmira

Multiple issues and questions - with multiple answers...

Starting with the Activation Lock, here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be turned off:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

As you will discover, unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, or unless you can secure the cooperation of the “owner” that set these credentials (!), you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. Without documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple won’t assist - and nobody here will be able to help you.

However, If you are the owner of the AppleID that previously activated the device - and you have forgotten your AppleID or associated password, these can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to one of the following:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

Unless you AppleID account has not been fully/correctly configured, or has been seriously neglected, recovery of the AppleID and password should not be difficult.

More information about recovery of your AppleID:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information about recovery of your AppleID password:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

When you recover access to your credentials, you would be well advised to log-in to your AppleID account from a web browser - and verify/update any email addresses and trusted telephone numbers:

https://appleid.apple.com

If you have forgotten the answers to your Security questions:

If you’ve forgotten the answers to your Apple ID security questions – Apple Support

I hope this information addresses you various issues - and is helpful in resolving the problem.

Sep 13, 2020 1:46 AM in response to kulmira

You might contact Apple Support. You will find the Contact Support link at top-right of this page.

Alternatively, if you have a proof of purchase (acceptable to Apple in their absolute discretion), you might try speaking with staff at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store. It is understood that, if accepted, a retail proof of purchase must clearly show the serial number of the device to which it relates.

Best of luck.

Sep 16, 2020 9:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

Again thank you. The PoP from Vodafone appears to show all the necessary information so I will call the Apple help-line and, hopefully, they will be able to help this time. I recall that, the last time I called the Apple help-line, they sent me links to pages relating to secondary emails and 'phone numbers - none of which we know (or he remembers).

I will also call our local factory approved agent and chat to them as well - to see if they can be of assistance.

Sep 13, 2020 1:32 AM in response to LotusPilot

Firstly I apologise for taking so long to respond - I have been working out of town.

Thank you for your answer - it explained many things. I have been in touch with the person who set up the account and, yes, he can't remember any of the answers etc. He also can't remember anything about secondary emails or telephone numbers.

After two 'phone calls and two visits to retail shops I was eventually able to get a 'proof of purchase' from Vodafone New Zealand.

How do I get in touch with somebody at Apple regarding their assisting us to unlock and reset the password etc ? Who would I need to send this receipt to - in the hope that they will assist us?

Many thanks in anticipation

Ipad locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.