You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop Pages from opening a new blank document every time it launches?

Does anyone know how to keep Pages from opening a new blank document every time it launches? I thought this used to be a preferences option but my Pages preferences are very limited. I am running version 5.6.2. I know it's an old version, but hoping someone knows.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 7:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 5:06 PM

Hello, Clipster88!

We understand you're trying to configure Pages so that it does not open a new, blank document every time you launch the app.

You're correct in that this is done in Preferences. Let's see if the version you're running has this option. To start open Pages, then click on Pages in the Menu bar, and select Preferences. Click on the General tab, then make sure "Show Template Chooser" is selected. If "Use template" is check marked, then this will open the document type that is chosen under the drop down menu.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2020 5:06 PM in response to Clipster88

Hello, Clipster88!

We understand you're trying to configure Pages so that it does not open a new, blank document every time you launch the app.

You're correct in that this is done in Preferences. Let's see if the version you're running has this option. To start open Pages, then click on Pages in the Menu bar, and select Preferences. Click on the General tab, then make sure "Show Template Chooser" is selected. If "Use template" is check marked, then this will open the document type that is chosen under the drop down menu.

Cheers!

How do I stop Pages from opening a new blank document every time it launches?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.