You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What If I Lose My Phone With Two Factor Authentication

Hello!

Back when I had an Android, it got stolen in a foreign country. I had two factor authentication turned on, so I was unable to Find My Phone at the police station (while filling out a report). When I got back to the Hostel, I was able to email someone back at home to turn off the two factor authentication on another one of my devices so I could access my account. They were able to allowing me to (unsuccessfully) find my missing phone. After that experience I’ve left two factor authentication off.

How much of that would have been different if I had my iPhone? Because I want to access features with Two Factor Authentication, but I plan to continue traveling and I’m sure I will lose another phone abroad.

Thanks! (hopefully it kinda makes sense)

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 11:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 11:54 AM

Last important point:

Apple's FindMe does NOT require 2FA to locate and temporary disable your mobile device.

You can do this from another individual's iPhone's FindMy"->Me->Help a Friend or via the web from https://www.icloud.com/find/

However, you DO need to have your AppleID and it's associated password VERY secure and solidly committed to memory.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2020 11:54 AM in response to duchess89

Last important point:

Apple's FindMe does NOT require 2FA to locate and temporary disable your mobile device.

You can do this from another individual's iPhone's FindMy"->Me->Help a Friend or via the web from https://www.icloud.com/find/

However, you DO need to have your AppleID and it's associated password VERY secure and solidly committed to memory.

Sep 11, 2020 11:48 AM in response to duchess89

Re: "... Because I want to access features with Two Factor Authentication ..."

Just realized I only answered half you question.

Apple's 2FA only comes into play when you're accessing your account from an new or untrusted device.

In normal use w/ your own trusted devices "under your control" you'll rarely actually encounter the 2FA user-prompts.

Cheers.

Sep 11, 2020 12:26 PM in response to duchess89

Yes!

Apple knows that if you're looking for your iPhone ..,. you probably don't have it ... and have to obtain access from an "alternate" device. <wink>

That said, for it all to fully work as-intended, a couple of IMPORTANT settings must be done beforehand:

In Settings -> iCloud -> FindMy -> Find my iPhone ... All three of the switches should be activated and "green"

Sep 11, 2020 12:31 PM in response to Chattanoogan

And repeated for emphasis ... your must provide your AppleID and Password.

If you've lost your phone, you're under a bit of "stress" already ...

... you can't "look on your phone" and you shouldn't depend on a scrap of paper "somewhere".

MEMORIZE them both ... well enough so that you can reliably regurgitate them under stressful conditions.

What If I Lose My Phone With Two Factor Authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.