You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit Won't Accept Graphics

Can you insert a graphic into TextEdit when you have selected Plain Text format? When I try dragging a screenshot graphic into my TextEdit document I just get the following line -

/Users/John/Desktop/Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 8.09.36 AM.png

not the graphic. Any solution to this dilemma or does the Plain Text option preclude graphics?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 8:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 8:37 AM

Plain text format in TextEdit precludes any graphics, or text attributes.

TextEdit will accept a graphic if the application's format is set to Rich Text format (RTF). This restricts your save operation as either an RTFD which is a Rich Text Container with Attachments/Rich Text Format Directory, or an export to PDF. LibreOffice for instance, won't open RTFD objects, but Pages v10.1 can. Preview will only show the image in the RTFD, but not any document rich text.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2020 8:37 AM in response to ttibsen

Plain text format in TextEdit precludes any graphics, or text attributes.

TextEdit will accept a graphic if the application's format is set to Rich Text format (RTF). This restricts your save operation as either an RTFD which is a Rich Text Container with Attachments/Rich Text Format Directory, or an export to PDF. LibreOffice for instance, won't open RTFD objects, but Pages v10.1 can. Preview will only show the image in the RTFD, but not any document rich text.

TextEdit Won't Accept Graphics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.