You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone remains in Dark mode even after I manually set in for Light

How do I switch my iPhone out of dark mode? I have gone into Settings and manually changed it to Light. I powered the phone off and then turned it back on, but it is still in Dark mode.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 12:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 7:53 AM

Hello Roger,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you unable to switch your iPhone out of Dark Mode. Let's see what we can do to resolve this for you. To start with, take a look at the following support article to use Dark Mode. Make sure that you have not set Dark Mode to turn on automatically.

Use Dark Mode on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, let's go to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size and check if either Smart Invert or Classic Invert are enabled there. If so, if you turn those off you should be able to switch between light and dark without issue.

If those are already disabled, or the issue continues after you disabled them, you may want to consider updating your device if you're not already on iOS 14.0.1. You can find the steps for updating here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 30, 2020 7:53 AM in response to rogerfrombloomington

Hello Roger,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you unable to switch your iPhone out of Dark Mode. Let's see what we can do to resolve this for you. To start with, take a look at the following support article to use Dark Mode. Make sure that you have not set Dark Mode to turn on automatically.

Use Dark Mode on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, let's go to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size and check if either Smart Invert or Classic Invert are enabled there. If so, if you turn those off you should be able to switch between light and dark without issue.

If those are already disabled, or the issue continues after you disabled them, you may want to consider updating your device if you're not already on iOS 14.0.1. You can find the steps for updating here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards.

iPhone remains in Dark mode even after I manually set in for Light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.