You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina 15inch Mid2015 LOUD FAN NOISE

Hello! I have this MacBook. Purchased from a friend (second hand) about 6 months since I have had it. It always makes a very loud fan noise. It hasn't been an issue but is becoming annoying as I work on music production with it. CPU is not high/it's not because of CPU. I found this info to reset the SMC and I also did the PRAM. Nothing helps; the noise is still loud. It is not being overworked.

The specs are attached in the screen shot.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I presume it is the 'fan' making the noise. It's a constant high level fan sound. Any other suggestions in improving this and decreasing this annoying humming sound?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 2:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 9:20 AM

Please refer to If the fans in your Mac run at full speed when you turn it on - Apple Support. Since your Mac does not include the T2 chip, only the two bullet points at the end apply to your concern. Their titles just don't make their relevance to it very apparent.

Please review what those Apple Support documents have to suggest. You already performed the SMC Reset. If that action did not fix its runaway fan problem and you cannot correlate its behavior to a runaway app or process and that problem has persisted for as long as you've had that Mac then the cause is likely to be hardware-related.

A deficient repair or similarly deficient hardware modification is the likely cause: Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2020 9:20 AM in response to Ember12

Please refer to If the fans in your Mac run at full speed when you turn it on - Apple Support. Since your Mac does not include the T2 chip, only the two bullet points at the end apply to your concern. Their titles just don't make their relevance to it very apparent.

Please review what those Apple Support documents have to suggest. You already performed the SMC Reset. If that action did not fix its runaway fan problem and you cannot correlate its behavior to a runaway app or process and that problem has persisted for as long as you've had that Mac then the cause is likely to be hardware-related.

A deficient repair or similarly deficient hardware modification is the likely cause: Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

MacBook Pro Retina 15inch Mid2015 LOUD FAN NOISE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.