You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after installing/updating to catalina, its taking forever to login. ive been waiting for almost 12 hours. is this normal? what should i do?

after installing/updating to catalina, its taking forever to login. ive been waiting for almost 12 hours. is this normal? what should i do? This is the screen it’s stuck on

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 4:19 AM

11 replies

Sep 27, 2020 9:53 AM in response to kdugenia0121

If Safe Mode is showing this, you’re left to try Diagnostics (a few of the oldest Macs compatible with Catalina will need Hardware Test) and Recovery, but it’s possible that your Mac has a storage corruption, or is having hardware problems.

The I/O activity of an update or upgrade can push a failing hard disk further into failure, for instance.

Add-on cleaners and add-on anti-malware apps and other similar add-on apps can cause corruptions, too. And sometimes a crash or a hard shutdown can cause a corruption.

Run diagnostics (or hardware test), and see if there are errors.

Then see if Recovery can restore this.

If you don’t have a current backup, use Recovery to get a copy of your storage to available (blank) external storage device. If you can.

If you do not have a current backup, get a backup first, and get a backup before any other tests or operations.

after installing/updating to catalina, its taking forever to login. ive been waiting for almost 12 hours. is this normal? what should i do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.