You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i view the files stored inside an existing backup

I have a backup in icloud of this phone. Its quite large and my icloud storage is nearly full because of it. Im sure its all the photos in the backup. I havent got these photos stored in my phone anymore or in my PC. I want to save the photos to my pc and fully remove them from the backup, or just delete the backup and create a new one.

How do I view the photos in a backup that is stored in icloud?

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 4:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 4:53 AM

Photos and videos are always a primary suspect for eating up space on your device or your storage in iCloud. But you can't view just the photos stored inside the backup. Backups in iCloud are entire packages (in addition to being encrypted). If you don't have the photos on your phone nor anywhere else anymore, you'd need to erase your iPhone, restore the iPhone from said backup in iCloud and then connect the newly restored iPhone (now supposedly containing all of the old photos from the old backup) to your computer. That way you can (hopefully) import the photos from the iPhone to your computer and afterwards delete the photos from the iPhone. Does that make sense?

Check out the Apple Support article on iCloud storage here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204247

I'd also make sure to have a backup of the stuff on your PC, in case that machine breaks down. You can never have too many backups😄

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2020 4:53 AM in response to thommo66

Photos and videos are always a primary suspect for eating up space on your device or your storage in iCloud. But you can't view just the photos stored inside the backup. Backups in iCloud are entire packages (in addition to being encrypted). If you don't have the photos on your phone nor anywhere else anymore, you'd need to erase your iPhone, restore the iPhone from said backup in iCloud and then connect the newly restored iPhone (now supposedly containing all of the old photos from the old backup) to your computer. That way you can (hopefully) import the photos from the iPhone to your computer and afterwards delete the photos from the iPhone. Does that make sense?

Check out the Apple Support article on iCloud storage here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204247

I'd also make sure to have a backup of the stuff on your PC, in case that machine breaks down. You can never have too many backups😄

Can i view the files stored inside an existing backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.