You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

latch mode - ignores MIDI CC

Logic Pro 10.4.8

I'm trying to record some automation data via a MIDI controller. Executive summary: when I "Record", the CC automation is written to the region. If I "Latch" automtation and Play the track, however, the MIDI CC seems to be completely ignored.

Details:

I'm trying to record Expression and Dynamics automation. I have a controller sending CC 1 and CC 11 (which I can see in the MIDI output of the control bar display).

If I record a new region and move the faders, Expression and Dynamics automation traces are recording into the region as expected.

However, I set Latch mode on the track (with the automation button set to Track), then "play", no amount of moving the faders results in automation changes. However, If I change the corresponding knobs in the Smart Controls with the mouse, the automation is recorded as expected to the track.

I can't find any settings that would account for MIDI CC being filtered out during Latch/Play but not during Recording. I've run out of ideas of things to try.

Help!?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 5:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 11:11 AM

To answer my question above:

Thanks to Spitfire Support, I now understand the limitations of MIDI CC and Logic Pro Latch mode.

MIDI CC cannot be "latched" during Play.  Only during Record.    And only to the Region, not to the Track.

This is unlike host automation (e.g., a virtual knob on the smart controls panel, or a control in a soft instrument) which CAN be latched during play.

I'll chalk this up to a Logic Pro "oddity" -- I now have a path forward to "latching" my expression automation.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2020 11:11 AM in response to Chine Nual

To answer my question above:

Thanks to Spitfire Support, I now understand the limitations of MIDI CC and Logic Pro Latch mode.

MIDI CC cannot be "latched" during Play.  Only during Record.    And only to the Region, not to the Track.

This is unlike host automation (e.g., a virtual knob on the smart controls panel, or a control in a soft instrument) which CAN be latched during play.

I'll chalk this up to a Logic Pro "oddity" -- I now have a path forward to "latching" my expression automation.

Oct 19, 2020 11:23 AM in response to Chine Nual

Bump... No one has encountered this? I can "latch" automation manipulated through the Logic UI (knobs on a virtual instrument, or even knobs on the Smart Controls panel), but when "latching" the CC's sent from my MIDI controller are ignored.

I know it's _supposed_ to work -- have watched countless videos of orchestral sample users adding expression and dynamics modulation via external MIDI controllers. So I am guessing that I have accidentally configured something wrong in Logic, but I can't find any settings that would account for this. The track properly receives MIDI data (including the CC's in question) when "recording", but doesn't see them during a "Latch" playback.

Oct 19, 2020 11:30 AM in response to Chine Nual

This may be relevant (https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002965958-Host-Automation-Causing-Track-Automation-issues-in-Logic-Pro-X-en-us-) - another user reports basically the same problem with Spitfire instruments (which happen to be what I'm trying to automate). In his case, the instrument is using Kontakt -- I'm using the BBCSO Discover library which uses Spitfire's own engine (not Kontakt).

In any case, assuming this really does have something to do with "host automation" overriding MIDI CC, I still don't understand what I can do about it. Can anyone suggest things to try?

latch mode - ignores MIDI CC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.