You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone Being Used by App IPhone 11

I have iPhone 11, software version 14.0.1. I notice when ever I make a call the orange indicator appears showing the microphone is being used by an app. Does this mean the call is being recorded somewhere? I have checked the mic setting under privacy and all that is listed is App Clips... ??

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 11:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 1:32 AM

Many thanks for the reply. So how do I identify which app is using the microphone? You can see what I see from the screen capture and there is nothing I can see indicating what’s using the mic. Or it it as simple I’m on a telephone call so ergo the mic would be activated? If yes how can I distinguish between an app using mic and mic being used for phone call?

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2020 1:32 AM in response to Ingo2711

Many thanks for the reply. So how do I identify which app is using the microphone? You can see what I see from the screen capture and there is nothing I can see indicating what’s using the mic. Or it it as simple I’m on a telephone call so ergo the mic would be activated? If yes how can I distinguish between an app using mic and mic being used for phone call?

Oct 19, 2020 1:51 AM in response to Community User

Check this:

If you see orange or green indicators in the status bar 

With iOS 14, you might see an orange or green indicator in the status bar on your iPhone. These indicators appear when the microphone and/or camera are being used by an app.

An orange indicator  means the microphone is being used by an app on your iPhone.

A green indicator  means either the camera or the camera and the microphone are being used by an app on your iPhone.

copied from: Status icons and symbols on your iPhone - Apple Support

Oct 19, 2020 2:22 PM in response to AKRBTN

Many thanks for your patience. Sorry to be difficult but my question still has not been answered. I completely understand the function of the illuminated orange light. But the question remains ‘which app is using the mic?’. I can’t see anything listed under privacy>mic.

Oct 20, 2020 11:36 PM in response to Community User

I guess, Apple does not differentiate anymore between the "traditional" phone app and other apps, that are able to place "phone calls", like FaceTime for example. They only want to show the user, if the camera is being used, beside the microphone, as you can also place FaceTime calls, using audio only.

You can use the feedback, to tell Apple directly about your wishes for future iOS updates, or thoughts about this new feature:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Oct 20, 2020 2:53 PM in response to stedman1

Many thanks for your help. So it

is as per my below question/comment posted on 19th. Wouldn’t it be much more functionally practical to have the warning light (which is what it looks like - any orange dot looks ominous!) only showing/illuminated when an app is using mic OTHER than when ur making a call?!

So, only call = no orange dot;

Another app using mic while making call = orange dot showing

OR maybe have a different colour dot to represent the fact that mic is being used for phone call AND by another app.

Oct 19, 2020 1:32 AM Or is it as simple I’m on a telephone call so ergo the mic would be activated? If yes how can I distinguish between an app using mic and mic being used for phone call?

Many thanks for your patience & help.

Microphone Being Used by App IPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.