You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy Photos from iMac to SSD external drive

I have over 50,000 photos/videos on my iMac (approximately 2014) and it is running Catalina. I want to copy all my photos/videos to a SanDisk 1T SSD drive. Every time I attempt to cut and paste all photos, it stalls and pinwheels indefinitely. (I've left if for over 24 hours with no success). I am using time machine as well, but I want to have a separate drive with just my photos as a back-up. Any suggestions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 7:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 7:36 AM

Hi.

Is this just for a backup?

First make sure the drive is correctly formatted for photos (APFS, or MacOS extended Journaled) as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Then probaby your best solution is to copy the whole photos library to the external drive. (If you are talking about pictures in a photos library)

Alternatively if you prefer to copy just the image files, try using the file/export option rather than copy/paste

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2020 7:36 AM in response to Davidsthubbins

Hi.

Is this just for a backup?

First make sure the drive is correctly formatted for photos (APFS, or MacOS extended Journaled) as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Then probaby your best solution is to copy the whole photos library to the external drive. (If you are talking about pictures in a photos library)

Alternatively if you prefer to copy just the image files, try using the file/export option rather than copy/paste

Copy Photos from iMac to SSD external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.