You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto Delete Old Conversations in Messages

I have set Messages to use icloud storage on all my devices (iphones and ipads) that support it. I also have an older ipad that only has OS 10.3 which does not seem to support it. If I enable Auto Delete Old Conversations on an ipad, do the messages on icloud storage also get deleted? Does Auto Delete only affect the device that it was activated on or does it affect the other devices or icloud storage?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 8:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 4:52 AM

The below if from the https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/messages-mm0de0d4528d/icloud site.

If you use Messages in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device and access your entire messages history. Messages you send, receive, or delete are updated on all iOS devices, iPadOS devices, and Mac computers where you’re signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID.

Using Messages in iCloud frees up space on your device by storing your messages in iCloud, along with the accompanying photos and other attachments. When you turn on Messages in iCloud on a device, your messages are automatically stored in iCloud, and aren’t included in your iCloud backup.

On an ipad and iphone I have: settings>messages>keep messages>forever. Under General>iphone storage>messages it uses 1.28 GB. Under General>ipdad storage>messages it uses 14.01 GB. Both have myname>icloud>messages toggled on.

Why is there such a storage difference?

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2020 4:52 AM in response to Michael Black

The below if from the https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/messages-mm0de0d4528d/icloud site.

If you use Messages in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device and access your entire messages history. Messages you send, receive, or delete are updated on all iOS devices, iPadOS devices, and Mac computers where you’re signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID.

Using Messages in iCloud frees up space on your device by storing your messages in iCloud, along with the accompanying photos and other attachments. When you turn on Messages in iCloud on a device, your messages are automatically stored in iCloud, and aren’t included in your iCloud backup.

On an ipad and iphone I have: settings>messages>keep messages>forever. Under General>iphone storage>messages it uses 1.28 GB. Under General>ipdad storage>messages it uses 14.01 GB. Both have myname>icloud>messages toggled on.

Why is there such a storage difference?

Oct 22, 2020 4:39 PM in response to SashaEB

You cannot do that. Messages in iCloud is a synchronization service. So all messages are in iCloud and sync’d across all devices using that same iCloud account. Anything you delete of any connected devices gets deleted in iCloud and all connected devices.

If you want to make archives of old messages and then delete them from your devices and iCloud, you’ll need a Mac or Windows computer and third party software like PhoneView or iExplorer or one of the other similar such programs.

Auto Delete Old Conversations in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.