You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5G international compatibility

Is it true that the new iPhone 12, 12 pro and subsequent phones with 5G technology bought in the US will not work in India? (I am referring to an iphone without contract and bought factory unlocked). How can apple make a device that can not be used in another country?

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 9:38 PM

2 replies

Nov 2, 2020 8:10 PM in response to thangarasupillai

Hi thangarasupillai,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. Models are different for different countries based on technology, carrier capability, and governmental regulations. We've linked information for you below on the model numbers that are available by country, and carrier information. It would be best to check with your carrier to see if the device you purchased can be activated on their network.

5G and LTE. Find the iPhone that’s right for your country or region.

Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in the Middle East and India

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Nov 2, 2020 9:44 PM in response to sterling r

Hello Sterling,

Thanks and I appreciate your resourceful response. However, I’m afraid you misunderstood my question. Although the reply is resourceful, my question was different. The global model A2411 (if I’m not wrong stating that. As A2411 is the model for many countries) is supported by some home networks of their countries and lack 39GHz and 29GHz support which is available in the A2342 (The US model).

So here is a paraphrase of my initial question.

If I purchase an iPhone 12 Pro Max (when they release it) and try to use in India, the phone should work fine as it includes the bands available in India. However, if a phone bought in India will not provide the experience that the US model gives. Am I right?

iPhone 5G international compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.