You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP 3 Scanner will damage your computer.

Similar to the posts reported on Oct 23rd, I was unable to print or scan with my HP Laserjet Pro (from my iMac). Since then, I'm able to print but still unable to scan. For now, I use the temporary solution - a thumb drive with the printers USB port.

When I try to scan from the HP Easy Scan app, I receive the malware notification:

HP 3 Scanner will damage your computer - 3 times - followed by - scanner reported an error - failed to open a connection to the device.

What are my options to restore the scanning function?

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 2:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 3:54 PM

I have an HP Color Laser Jet Pro printer (M281cdw) and I used the HP uninstaller app to remove all HP apps and components and then I downloaded  the Mac Printer Driver version 5.1 recommended for my printer. This version also included the HP Easy Scan app. It worked okay until I restarted my iMac. I could print but I could not scan - damage notification. So I used the HP uninstaller a second time and I reinstalled the 5.1 version and it has worked for the last 2 weeks. It even survived the Big Sur update on the iMac. There was one scanner notification after the update install but the iMac gave me an option to use the device location and this initiated the scanner function on my HP. After a long, extremely frustrating ordeal, the problem is solved and printer works the way it did before this HP snafu. (so far) Good luck.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2020 3:54 PM in response to sigrijeff

I have an HP Color Laser Jet Pro printer (M281cdw) and I used the HP uninstaller app to remove all HP apps and components and then I downloaded  the Mac Printer Driver version 5.1 recommended for my printer. This version also included the HP Easy Scan app. It worked okay until I restarted my iMac. I could print but I could not scan - damage notification. So I used the HP uninstaller a second time and I reinstalled the 5.1 version and it has worked for the last 2 weeks. It even survived the Big Sur update on the iMac. There was one scanner notification after the update install but the iMac gave me an option to use the device location and this initiated the scanner function on my HP. After a long, extremely frustrating ordeal, the problem is solved and printer works the way it did before this HP snafu. (so far) Good luck.

Nov 1, 2020 3:50 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I followed the instructions by deleting easy scan app and installed the download from the link. After the download, I deleted the HP printer driver and added it back. When I clicked on easy scan, I receive multiple messages HPDM.framework will damage your computer followed by scanner reported an error. What can I try next?

Nov 28, 2020 10:22 AM in response to Ron2274

Thanks for the details, I'm stuck in the same mess. I have an HP Photosmart 7520 Printer/Scanner. Was able to uninstall, and get printer to work, but not scanner. BTW, I have MBP, still running Catalina because it stalled on the Big Sur Install. Would you trying to download and install Big Sur a second time before doing the printer install again? Did you restart computer after uninstalling and reinstalling the second time? Any other tips? Thanks in advance.

HP 3 Scanner will damage your computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.