You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanner error message

I've had my HP 3512 Printer/scanner hooked up to my computer for years. I've printed and scanned documents with no problem until today. When I try and scan a document I get this message “HP Scanner 3.app” will damage your computer. And I can't scan. The computer wants me to trash the HP.app. If I do that my printer won't work at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 10:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 12:07 PM

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. An HP Inc spokesperson said on Friday night:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

HP supplied a new driver on Friday to fix the issue:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

However, that "fix" is producing this error for some users:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer…

If you're seeing that, try this fix. Go to System Preferences, select Printers and Scanners. Select your printer from the list then delete (-) it. Then add (+) your printer back and select the generic driver to use.

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue.

(2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

Open >System Preferences>Software Update (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

If you don't see it there, Apple now has it posted as a separate, manual download.

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

Thank Kurt Lang for posting this fix.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 11, 2020 12:07 PM in response to David Gurga

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. An HP Inc spokesperson said on Friday night:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

HP supplied a new driver on Friday to fix the issue:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

However, that "fix" is producing this error for some users:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer…

If you're seeing that, try this fix. Go to System Preferences, select Printers and Scanners. Select your printer from the list then delete (-) it. Then add (+) your printer back and select the generic driver to use.

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue.

(2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

Open >System Preferences>Software Update (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

If you don't see it there, Apple now has it posted as a separate, manual download.

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

Thank Kurt Lang for posting this fix.

Nov 11, 2020 1:56 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you to both of you. I downloaded the file but had moved the old ones to the trash. Then my computer decided to do an update. Really slow internet here and it took one and a half hours. Thank you AT&T. Anyhow. Nothing was in my Apps folder for HP. So I dragged the old ones I put in the trash back into the App folder and it started working. I know. I'm 65 and don't understand all of this so thank you so much. Love the Apple support forum. :-)

Nov 11, 2020 4:47 PM in response to den.thed

Our local internet service was through a small telephone company. It was like dial up. Then we heard about at&t home base. It was great but it works through the cell towers. Now with Covid. The cell towers are over whelmed. Only other choice was Spectrum and every person, including family members, say Spectrum is expensive and very difficult to deal with. So we will wait until something bette comes along. But I don’t see anything promising.

Scanner error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.