You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to Big Sur and now there are two MacOS Drives mounted on startup

I upgraded to Big Sur from a recently fresh installation of Catalina and everything went smoothly and there appears to be no issues.

BUT, not upon startup, I see two(2) "MacOS" drives mounted on my desktop. I think one may be recovery? I have no idea why and this is very annoying. I have used MacOS from since Mountain Lion and this has never happened before. Please see screenshot for details.

1. Can I delete one the drives?
  2. If so, how?
  3. If not, can I hide it to stop it from being mounted on my desktop?

Thanks,

Manny

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 6:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 7:08 AM

manuel296 wrote:

Also, I did NOT run any Beta versions of Big Sur. I only ran a Beta version of Xcode 12.2 before it was available on the App Store.

All volumes share the space with the Container, You should be able to safely remove the extra macOS as shown here:

Notice the point is not / or /System/...

You can use the +/-

please report back your success or failure

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2020 7:08 AM in response to manuel296

manuel296 wrote:

Also, I did NOT run any Beta versions of Big Sur. I only ran a Beta version of Xcode 12.2 before it was available on the App Store.

All volumes share the space with the Container, You should be able to safely remove the extra macOS as shown here:

Notice the point is not / or /System/...

You can use the +/-

please report back your success or failure

Nov 15, 2020 6:55 AM in response to manuel296

manuel296 wrote:

I upgraded to Big Sur from a recently fresh installation of Catalina and everything went smoothly and there appears to be no issues.

BUT, not upon startup, I see two(2) "MacOS" drives mounted on my desktop. I think one may be recovery? I have no idea why and this is very annoying. I have used MacOS from since Mountain Lion and this has never happened before. Please see screenshot for details.

You do not say what exact Mac is this?

Is this the factory SSD or did you user upgrade at some point with a third party SSD?

Did you run a Beta version of the macOS before the final release?

With Big Sur you expect to see a layout similar to:

Big Sur always boots from a snapshot , a APFS snapshot.

updating to a beta can end up added a new snapshot without deleting the old snapshot.

Upgraded to Big Sur and now there are two MacOS Drives mounted on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.