You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Macintosh SSD - Data" is mounting in addition to the regular volume

So when I updated to Big Sur, I decided to do a fresh wipe. I launched disk utility in recovery mode and wiped the volume "Macintosh SSD" and "Macintosh SSD - Data".

Now they both are mounted at startup. So my desktop looks like this:

Why is this happening? I can use disk utility to unmount "Macintosh SSD - Data", but on startup its just mounted again.

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 10:30 AM

Plazmotech wrote:

So when I updated to Big Sur, I decided to do a fresh wipe. I launched disk utility in recovery mode and wiped the volume "Macintosh SSD" and "Macintosh SSD - Data".

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/7f053cc9-4f31-4cac-a472-11c84d3af532

Why is this happening? I can use disk utility to unmount "Macintosh SSD - Data", but on startup its just mounted again.

Thanks

Well from Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices It is here you see the parent drive— if you did not erase/reformat the parent drive you end up with the anomaly on your Desktop as you indicate.

I suspect you have two - Data volumes.

Open DU and and delete the extra Volume.

From Disk Utility.app you can see the mount point

One will be mounted at /System/Volumes/Data this is the one you want to keep,

The other will be mounted at /Volumes and you can simple use the “ -“ to delete it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 13, 2020 10:30 AM in response to Plazmotech

Plazmotech wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/7f053cc9-4f31-4cac-a472-11c84d3af532

Thanks

Well from Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices It is here you see the parent drive— if you did not erase/reformat the parent drive you end up with the anomaly on your Desktop as you indicate.

I suspect you have two - Data volumes.

Open DU and and delete the extra Volume.

From Disk Utility.app you can see the mount point

One will be mounted at /System/Volumes/Data this is the one you want to keep,

The other will be mounted at /Volumes and you can simple use the “ -“ to delete it.

Nov 13, 2020 12:46 PM in response to Plazmotech

Plazmotech wrote:

Thanks! Deleting the Data volume worked. But there is a second anomaly: on both my iMac and my MBP 16" we have a volume called "com.apple.os.update-77...". Renaming this back to "Macintosh SSD" does nothing.

That is normal in Big Sur. Big Sur always boots from a snapshot

Spin the carrot if you do not want to see it.

From the Terminal.app you can see, example

diskutil apfs listSnapshots disk1s1s1

Snapshot for disk1s1s1 (1 found)

+-- 28512519-6A86-48A5-B0F5-62221042795D

Name:        com.apple.os.update-779BDF1556C6F688504E24FB29C75AFFABFCB91E701806FFFF35235E19914F1E

XID:         2381471

Purgeable:   No

NOTE:        This snapshot limits the minimum size of APFS Container disk1

[ *note your device number would be disk1s6s1 ] for the above example.

This is different then Time Machine snapshot(s) that you would see with:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots

"Macintosh SSD - Data" is mounting in addition to the regular volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.