You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh SSD and Macintosh SSD Data drive?

Everything functions correctly with the exception of my drive showing up As two different drives on my desktop. I have Macintosh SSD and Macintosh SSD - Data

same drive. Just pops up. I can right click the data one, which is the one that’s useless, and hit eject and it’s fine.

I’ve ran into this issue on my MBPro and I fixed it, however I can’t remember how. I went to disk utilities and Unmounted the data drive and it still just keeps coming up on every restart. How do I get rid of this?

MacBook

Posted on May 25, 2020 8:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 8:59 PM

The natural aspect of these system parts is that usually in normal use

you would not see them on the desktop. Otherwise they're normal!

• Why macOS Catalina installer splits data and system folders - idownload

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/10/24/macos-catalina-hidden-volume/

• System volume: This read-only volume contains all the operating system files that should never change during use of your computer.
  • Data volume: This volume contains everything else, including your home folders such as Documents, Music and Movies.

Apple itself states:

Catalina
runs in a dedicated, read-only volume — meaning it’s completely
separate from all other data and nothing can overwrite your critical
operating system files.

There may easier to understand Support articles that explain this better.

While that said, my newest 'macOS Mojave 10.14.6' does OK, as it is!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 25, 2020 8:59 PM in response to KatrinaYuan

The natural aspect of these system parts is that usually in normal use

you would not see them on the desktop. Otherwise they're normal!

• Why macOS Catalina installer splits data and system folders - idownload

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/10/24/macos-catalina-hidden-volume/

• System volume: This read-only volume contains all the operating system files that should never change during use of your computer.
  • Data volume: This volume contains everything else, including your home folders such as Documents, Music and Movies.

Apple itself states:

Catalina
runs in a dedicated, read-only volume — meaning it’s completely
separate from all other data and nothing can overwrite your critical
operating system files.

There may easier to understand Support articles that explain this better.

While that said, my newest 'macOS Mojave 10.14.6' does OK, as it is!

May 25, 2020 8:47 PM in response to KatrinaYuan

If you are running Catalina on an SSD, then the drive is formatted APFS. As such, APFS creates a space on the drive called a "container." The container has five volumes within it. They are as follows:

Macintosh SSD - visible and mounts on the Desktop

Macintosh SSD - Data - invisible but mounted

Preboot - invisible

Recovery - invisible and the equivalent of the Recovery HD

PM - invisible

The Data drive should not be visible on your Desktop. If you open Disk Utility and change the View dropdown menu to Show all devices, then you will see the basic structure of the container and the first two volumes. If you see two Data volumes, then the configuration has been corrupted.

You cannot stop this because it's integral to an APFS formatted startup disk. You are damaging the configuration by not knowing what you are doing or why. You should learn to ask before doing something you don't know about rather than after the fact.

I think that now you should start over from scratch. After reinstalling Catalina, please do not mess with the drive configuration.

Macintosh SSD and Macintosh SSD Data drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.