You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two hard drives on macbook pro

I am having problems with the circle with a line through it at startup. When I launch disk utility there is a Macintosh HD - Data and a Macintosh HD - Data - Data. Not sure which one to try and delete or how. There is also an Update showing up in disk utility. Any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 3:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 4:02 PM

snuffy51 wrote:

I am having problems with the circle with a line through it at startup. When I launch disk utility there is a Macintosh HD - Data and a Macintosh HD - Data - Data. Not sure which one to try and delete or how. There is also an Update showing up in disk utility. Any help appreciated.

If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210901

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 3, 2021 4:02 PM in response to snuffy51

snuffy51 wrote:

If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210901

Sep 4, 2021 7:32 AM in response to snuffy51

Hi snuffy51,

EDIT: Do not complete the previous steps I posted. There is a serious issue shown with your screenshot.

The Update volume was introduced in macOS Big Sur, and you're in the recoveryOS for macOS Catalina (a previous version).

Do not delete or erase any data. Instead, use a second Mac to create a bootable installer for macOS Big Sur, and start up your problematic Mac from that bootable installer.

Once you have created the bootable installer, please let me know and I'll post the next steps from there.

If you don't have a second Mac, please let me know and I can post alternate steps.

Sep 4, 2021 9:16 AM in response to Encryptor5000

This is on my wife's laptop. We had tried to download Big Sur a while back but could not install. I appreciate your help but creating a bootable installer looks too complicated for me. I am not sure how to proceed at this point. Her MacBook Pro seems to be working fine other than having to hold down option when restarting. She is running Mojave now. I am not sure why Big Sur would not install. If I remember correctly space was an issue. She has 128 GB and has hardly anything taking up space that I can see. Even iTunes has less than 9 GB. Not sure what to do at this point. I appreciate your help!!

Sep 5, 2021 6:57 AM in response to snuffy51

Thanks for that info! Just to clarify, is your Mac currently able to start up in macOS Mojave normally?

If yes, you could probably rename that remaining volume to "Macintosh HD" and you should be fine.

Also, to set that volume as your default startup disk, hold down the Option key as you start up your Mac. When the boot picker appears, use the arrow keys to select Macintosh HD, then hold down the Control key as you hit Enter (Return). The arrow should change to a circular arrow, and that volume will become your default startup disk.

Two hard drives on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.