You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini external monitor- no sound output

I connect Mac Mini with LG or HP external monitor using Apple HDMI cable. When I choose one of those monitor as the sound output in the Sound setting, it goes gray out and no sound comes out from the monitor. The message says The selected device has no output controls. I thought HMDI cable also provides audio input? I also has Google Mini speaker, is it possible to connect with it if either Monitor is able to function as an external speaker?

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 1:06 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Nov 24, 2020 6:53 PM in response to KentOhana

Hi, KentOhana.

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you’re connecting an LG and HP external monitor to your Mac mini, but you’re not able to select them as your sound output option. Have you had a chance to figure out why the monitor isn’t accepting your sound settings? 

Looking at the tech specs for a Mac mini, it looks like there is HDMI 2.0 port support for multichannel audio output. You can connect one external monitor via HDMI and one via Thunderbolt, but only the one connected via HDMI will support audio with an HDMI 2.0 or later cable. If you're not able to select it for your sound output options, and you have it connected with a good HDMI cable, you might check to see if there are any drivers or other firmware for the monitor that needs to be installed on your Mac mini.

These are the tech specs for the Mac mini (2018) to confirm the options:

Mac mini (2018) - Technical Specifications

Regarding using your Google mini speaker, you may be able to connect it to your Mac mini via Bluetooth using the Google Home app on your phone or the Bluetooth settings on your Mac.

Play music on your speaker or display using Bluetooth - Google Nest Help

Best Regards!

Mac Mini external monitor- no sound output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.