You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no sound on samsung LU28R55 on Mac mini Pro

No sound on Samsung LU28R55 on Mac mini Pro 2023 model connected via HDMI

I have the correct settings in system settings and have tried various settings including the volume of the monitor and can't get this monitor to produce sound other than from its headphone jack. I have changed the monitor HDMI versions and still no avail.

Has anyone any suggestions or drivers for this monitor to set up this monitor? I have followed general monitor set up detail on the Samsung site but it's no different to what I'd already done already....HELP!

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 5:35 PM

Hi,GornalMan, your Mac mini 2023 supports hdmi out, Thunderbolt 4 over usb-c which supports DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort ( with appropriate adapters ) , your monitor will do hdmi 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2.. go to Audio Midi Setup, under “Utilities” and see if you can set the audio/sound output to HDMI audio( if you’re connecting to that monitor via hdmi, the cable you use should be hdmi 2.0 and support hdcp 2.2)

just a guess

john b

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 28, 2023 5:35 PM in response to GornalMan

Hi,GornalMan, your Mac mini 2023 supports hdmi out, Thunderbolt 4 over usb-c which supports DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort ( with appropriate adapters ) , your monitor will do hdmi 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2.. go to Audio Midi Setup, under “Utilities” and see if you can set the audio/sound output to HDMI audio( if you’re connecting to that monitor via hdmi, the cable you use should be hdmi 2.0 and support hdcp 2.2)

just a guess

john b

Apr 29, 2023 5:24 AM in response to GornalMan

GornalMan wrote:

No sound on Samsung LU28R55 on Mac mini Pro 2023 model connected via HDMI

....can't get this monitor to produce sound other than from its headphone jack. ...

Based on the specs, there is no mention what so ever of a speaker in that display.

On page 20 of the manual is a indication that there is none:

"― Use headphones or earphones when activating sound with an HDMI-HDMI or DP cable."

The other clue is based on the fact that you get sound out of the headphone jack which means the Mini is delivering audio over HDMI! In this case, there is nothing you can do with the Mini to resolve the situation. So, if the Mini is delivering the sound, the it is an issue with the display not having a speaker!

May 4, 2023 4:09 AM in response to GornalMan

There are no speakers on that display as I previously mentioned. In addition, on this page:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/computers-it/no-sound-on-samsung-lu28r55-monitor/td-p/4368695

JMyers posteed:

"I learned the hard way that these monitors don't actually have speakers. It's very odd since they have volume controls, the computer recognizes them as having speakers and even acts as if audio is being sent to them but upon contacting technical support, I was informed that they don't actually have speakers. I then reviewed the specs on their website a little closer and saw that the full specs have "Speakers: No" listed."

no sound on samsung LU28R55 on Mac mini Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.