You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio when connecting my MacBook Pro to my monitor thru USB C

There's no audio coming out of my monitor when I connect it to my MacBook Pro using USB C. I went to the Sounds settings to check and it only says DisplayPort. Also went to the Audio MIDI Setup app and it says there's 0 ins / 2 outs which confirms that my monitor has a speaker right? I'm just wondering why there's no audio coming out of it. Am I doing something wrong?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 7:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 5:56 AM

cms267 wrote:

yeah... the volume slider is just grayed out.

that is expected behaviour. mine is greyed out as well when my external display is selected.

sorry if this is over simplified, but have you made sure that the volume on the display is turned up?

if yes, the next thing I would recommend is an SMC reset as well as an NVRAM reset.

please see How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

and also Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2023 5:56 AM in response to cms267

cms267 wrote:

yeah... the volume slider is just grayed out.

that is expected behaviour. mine is greyed out as well when my external display is selected.

sorry if this is over simplified, but have you made sure that the volume on the display is turned up?

if yes, the next thing I would recommend is an SMC reset as well as an NVRAM reset.

please see How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

and also Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

No audio when connecting my MacBook Pro to my monitor thru USB C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.