You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tidying up Photos

I have found that if I remove photos from "Library" in Photos the deleted photos still remain in any albums created in "My Albums". How do I get rid of the deleted photos that still appear. Can I delete the whole album and then recreate it with just the ones I want? Will this get rid of the deleted photos or will they then be restored to the Library. Because, when I select "delete album" I get the message "The items in this album will still be visible in your photo library and other albums that contain them. This album will be removed from iCloud Photos on all your devices." But if these items have already been deleted from the photo library will they now be re-instated to the library? I just want to get rid of them......help!

MacBook

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 7:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 12:38 AM

Albums are just lists of pointers to images in the library - so if you delete an album the image will remain in the library. This is important, because you can have the same image in multiple libraries.

If you delete an image from the library (eg all photos view) it will go into the recently deleted album from which it will be permanently deleted 30 days later. It should also disappear from any albums as soon as you delete it. (It does here)

When you delete the item from the library, does it warn you that it will be deleted from all devices? If not, you are not deleting in the right place.

If it does issue that warning, but after deletion is is still in an album, try deleting it from the recently deleted album.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2020 12:38 AM in response to Dilbury1

Albums are just lists of pointers to images in the library - so if you delete an album the image will remain in the library. This is important, because you can have the same image in multiple libraries.

If you delete an image from the library (eg all photos view) it will go into the recently deleted album from which it will be permanently deleted 30 days later. It should also disappear from any albums as soon as you delete it. (It does here)

When you delete the item from the library, does it warn you that it will be deleted from all devices? If not, you are not deleting in the right place.

If it does issue that warning, but after deletion is is still in an album, try deleting it from the recently deleted album.

Tidying up Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.