You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can no longer import images into Photos (Big Sur)

I'm on a 2017 MacBook Pro and after updating to Big Sur I am no longer able to import any images.

To initiate the import I'm simply dragging a single 1.5MB photo (JPG) from my desktop to photos. Clicking on the 'loading ring' (directly right of the zoom) displays a message 'importing 0 of 1 item', the progress bar does not move.

The Photos library is located on a local server (2012 Mac Mini). I have it setup this way as the library is on the large side (290GB), and the hard drive on my MacBook is on the small side.

Since Catalina I have no longer been able to simply plug my iPhone into my Mac and import photos. I could initiate the import, and it seemed to work, however the photos from the iPhone wouldn't actually import - this is a bug that several others have had. The work around was to use Image Capture to import the photos from my iPhone and then drag them in from the desktop - it seems this method is now also bugged...

Anyone got any ideas here?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 2:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 4:00 PM

Hi - Network drives are not suitable locations for storing photos libraries, and that may well be causing your problems:

The external storage must be directly connected (Not a network drive) formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2020 4:00 PM in response to iHaveTeeth

Hi - Network drives are not suitable locations for storing photos libraries, and that may well be causing your problems:

The external storage must be directly connected (Not a network drive) formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Nov 17, 2020 4:50 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure why Apple feel a network drive would be an unsuitable place for a photo library. The article linked only mentions that it is not recommended 'to prevent data loss' - not that there is major functionality issues. The data loss argument is also irrelevant if you run a Time Machine backup on the network drive (as I do).

Having this library on my network allowed me to have wireless access throughout my home - it was a great system that worked flawlessly until Catarina.

An external drive may give me slightly better performance however in testing (admittedly years ago) when you unplug the drive and move the computer and accidentally open Photos, the program would not know where the library file has gone and proceeded to try and create a new one which led to a importing/restoring flow when connecting back to the original library (and with a library the size I have that can take 24 hours).

The Library is actually on a external plugged into the Mini Mac server - I will try connecting it directly and see if it solves the issue. From memory I did try this when I had issues with Catalina (I had major issues importing my Library when I upgraded to Catalina), I honestly can't remember if that fixed the import from iPhone issue I had then, I guess I can only hope it fixes this issue now.

I'm still pretty unimpressed by all these downgrades in features though, I thought things were ment to get better over time?

I can no longer import images into Photos (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.