You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two photos, different formats ??

Why am I seeing photos appearing twice. Once in JPG and once with HEIC? Which should I delete ..or even should I delete any?

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 1:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 1:54 PM

HEIC is a format adopted by Apple a couple of years ago which offers a higher level of compression than JPG whilst maintaining quality. You only really need to keep one version of the photo.

Before you delete one of the versions, its worth double checking that the resolution of both photos is the same by highlighting photo and pressing cmd-I

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2020 1:54 PM in response to IanAldrich

HEIC is a format adopted by Apple a couple of years ago which offers a higher level of compression than JPG whilst maintaining quality. You only really need to keep one version of the photo.

Before you delete one of the versions, its worth double checking that the resolution of both photos is the same by highlighting photo and pressing cmd-I

Nov 25, 2020 1:10 PM in response to IanAldrich

I don't think there are any downsides. When you export from Photos you can choose which format to use.

When I share pictures from Photos and send to an Outlook account they seem to automatically convert to jpg.

If it ever becomes a problem you can change the setting on your phone to 'Most compatible' which will then save your photos in jpg rather than HEIC

Two photos, different formats ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.