You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to keep Catalina backup intact after installing Big Sur in case I need to revert?

I want to install Big Sur on my MBP 2017. However, after installing, I don't want my Catalina Time Machine backup to be overridden or touched in any manner. I want to be able to revert to Catalina if necessary. Is there a way to prevent Big Sur from taking over the Catalina backup?

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 11:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 12:43 PM

It means that I use a drive exclusively for one operating system, and then purchase and format a new drive for the new operating system. I made an exception for my Catalina TM drive, as I am functionally done with ever using Catalina again, and recycled its 1TB TM drive as an APFS TM drive for my M1 Mac mini.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2020 12:43 PM in response to musicandmacs

It means that I use a drive exclusively for one operating system, and then purchase and format a new drive for the new operating system. I made an exception for my Catalina TM drive, as I am functionally done with ever using Catalina again, and recycled its 1TB TM drive as an APFS TM drive for my M1 Mac mini.

Dec 5, 2020 12:04 PM in response to musicandmacs

Ordinarily, you do not have to erase your Mac before restoring Catalina. You would just boot into Recovery and select Restore from Time Machine backup, and it would then repave your startup drive with the contents of the last Catalina TM backup. It may further prompt you for which TM backup you want to restore from, but I cannot confirm that, or that you will get all of the Catalina bits back from the last backup before mixing it with Big Sur.

I always keep my operating system TM backups exclusively apart using new drives.

How to keep Catalina backup intact after installing Big Sur in case I need to revert?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.