You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook pro 2015, how to revert from BS to Catalina

I have Macbook Pro 2015, installed BigSur a week ago, and now few of my apps are running properly.

VSCode will not run with chrome browser at all.

I backed up to my WD portable a week before the changeover, but do not have confidence in ability to extract backup data from it since it is one of the apps that now doesn't work.

How do I ascertain the date of conversion to Big Sur, so I can assure myself that the WD backup is pre-BS , if I need it?

Can I revert to Catalina using iCloud?

What are my alternatives?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 10:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 10:55 PM

As far as the date of Big Sur installation, look through About This Mac > System Report…> Software > Installations.

As far as downgrading…

See: Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

and/or…

https://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-macos

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 5, 2021 1:36 AM in response to Bob593251

Hey there!

Yes, as you have a Time Machine backup, you can revert to Catalina with all your data at the time the backup was done, also if you have a current backup, you can restore any files that were added to your Mac from the current backup. As well, even if you erase your Mac as new with Catalina, you can simply restore your iCloud data by signing into your account after the installation.

To restore from your Catalina backup:

Boot your Mac to recovery mode. Startup holding Command R.

Select the option to Restore from a Time Machine backup. You’ll be prompted to erase your disk beforehand, this is the only way to revert the OS using Time Machine, then select a backup from the date it had Catalina.

Likewise, if you need to, you can create a Bootable Installer with Catalina, boot from that, erase your HD using Disk Utility, then Reinstall Mac OS Catalina using recovery mode:

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

https://support.apple.com/https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-your-mac-startup-disk-mchlp1034/machelp/change-your-mac-startup-disk-mchlp1034/mac

(This is to start up your Mac from the bootable installer).

As dialabrain mentioned, you can see the OS install dates in System Information. If you need to, you can also open your external drive in Finder. Open backups.backup.db > (Name of your Mac), and visibly see all the dates of your backups to ensure they are there.

Likewise, for this (these) apps that aren’t working as they should. Typically Time Machine backs up their data, it’s just a matter of where it’s stored on your HD, but if so, can usually be found.

Although sometimes that’s not the case, and the data is stored in a cloud somewhere, if iCloud, that’s easy to recover, if elsewhere, I wouldn’t know. However if the third party apps aren’t working as they should after Big Sur, I’d say, (If available, I’d check them for any updates, or if need be, await an update to work with Big Sur), sometimes it takes a while for others to catch up. Usually on the developer’s website they’ll have more information.

Hope all works out!

Apr 4, 2021 10:31 PM in response to Calvin_BT

Thanks Calvin_BT,

I am unsure if my WD backup works as it has been a little wanky of late with BigSur.

If I buy an new portable and update, the update will be under BigSur and essentially useless. Is that right?

Just as an aside, why is it not possible to downgrade using icloud? Presumably icloud does not store all the preferences, shortcuts, etc?

If there is no alternative I will have to try the WD I guess.

MacBook pro 2015, how to revert from BS to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.