You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving a photo from "People" to an album. What happens?

I am trying to understand how "people" and "albums" work and what happens when I move a photo from one to the other.

I am preparing a slide show for my daughter's birthday and I am selecting the best photos from "People" and dragging them to an album I've created so I end up with just the very best photos in the album which I can then use in the slide show.

However I know I'm going to end up with way too many photos in my first cut and will want to move some of the photos back almost immediately and possibly all of them when the project is complete.

So I want to understand what is happening when I drag a photo from "People" to my album and what happens when I later remove a photo from the album.

It looks like when I drag it from "People" to the album it disappears from "People" and appears in the new album. Is that right? It is no longer identified as being a photo of that person?

And if I then select a photo in the album and click on "Remove 1 photo from album" it seems to reappear in "People". Do I have that right too? This recreates the link?

Does that mean that once my project is complete I MUST return all photos to "People" if I want to be able to see these photos again using the "People" button?

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 2:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 3:20 AM

Are you creating your slideshow on a Mac? There is no slideshow feature in Photos iOS on an iPhone or iPad, but your question is in the forum for Photos iOS (iPad, iPod touch, iPhone).

On a Mac: when you drag a photo from a People album to a standard album in the sidebar of Photos, the photo should remain in the album of the person. Only, if you drag it to a different People album it will be removed from the album of the person. That is to be expected, as dragging to a different People album is renaming the person. Do not do that.

To create an album for your slideshow create a new standard album (with "File > New Album") and name it "My Slideshow Album" or similar and drag the photos you want to use in the slideshow to the new album in the sidebar or use the command "Add to Album". The photos should remain in the People album of the person and not be moved.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2020 3:20 AM in response to maxfrost01

Are you creating your slideshow on a Mac? There is no slideshow feature in Photos iOS on an iPhone or iPad, but your question is in the forum for Photos iOS (iPad, iPod touch, iPhone).

On a Mac: when you drag a photo from a People album to a standard album in the sidebar of Photos, the photo should remain in the album of the person. Only, if you drag it to a different People album it will be removed from the album of the person. That is to be expected, as dragging to a different People album is renaming the person. Do not do that.

To create an album for your slideshow create a new standard album (with "File > New Album") and name it "My Slideshow Album" or similar and drag the photos you want to use in the slideshow to the new album in the sidebar or use the command "Add to Album". The photos should remain in the People album of the person and not be moved.

Moving a photo from "People" to an album. What happens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.