You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot "apply clip" from a shared album to a drop zone

Hey guys -

Been working with FCPX for a while as a hobbiest, and upping my game by trying out plug ins. My challenge is that the videos I do typically include videos/photos from shared family albums.

I've watched several videos on adding media to the drop zone, and every time, it looks super easy. However, when I attempt to select a video from a shared album, the "Apply clip" button is not enabled.

In this screen shot, I'm in the photos section. I can't get "apply clip" to be enabled.

If I drag the selection into the storyline, it will add it to the media section of my event. I can then go back to the media section and select the same clip. At this point, the "apply clip" becomes enabled.

In this screen shot, I'm selecting a video from the "Media" section. "Apply clip" is enabled here on selection.

So the question here is "do I have to import all my photos from the shared album into the media library for the project in order to apply them into the drop zone?" If so, that seems like a total pain! Happily welcome suggestions on the most efficient way to handle use of shared album photo content in FCPX, even if that means an import of some kind. <-if so, how?

iOS: Mojave 10.16.6

FCPX: 10.4.10

^^^ I know... I'm working on upgrading. :)

Thanks in advance for anything I'm missing here.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 7:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:53 AM

What happens when you import depends on how you do it and how the import preferences are set. Generally it’s best to use Finder to copy the files off the Shared folder and store it on the system drive or on an external drive, preferably an SSD.

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 31, 2021 11:49 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for the quick response, Tom. Kind of you. I assume then, that when I select my content from shared albums to add to my timeline, local copies are being pulled down automatically? Because I have no issues adding that shared content to my fcpx timeline video... just when I try to manipulate it.

Is the better option then to download the shared content? If so, do I import it to photos, or is there perhaps a better option?

Cannot "apply clip" from a shared album to a drop zone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.