You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it ok to delete all iPhone old backups and keep only the most recent?

Hi, I am having new iPhone almost every year or two and I always do backups in my PC. therefore I have so many backups that is using a lot of my hard desk space. Is it ok to delete all old backups and keep only the most recent?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 9:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 5:13 PM

Well, not just you. iCloud is unusual in the way it works. Most times if you sync photos, to say, Google Photos, they stay in Google Photos even if you delete them from your device. Partly because of Google photos and a dozen other archiving services Apple designed iCloud to have a different function, rather than just duplicate services already available. Here’s a more detailed explanation→iCloud Deconstructed - Apple Community

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2021 5:13 PM in response to PanheadPaul

Well, not just you. iCloud is unusual in the way it works. Most times if you sync photos, to say, Google Photos, they stay in Google Photos even if you delete them from your device. Partly because of Google photos and a dozen other archiving services Apple designed iCloud to have a different function, rather than just duplicate services already available. Here’s a more detailed explanation→iCloud Deconstructed - Apple Community

Jan 11, 2021 12:12 PM in response to Axel Foley

Ok a few years back I backed up everything onto iCloud , I was paying for extra storage, and the iPhone 8+ still wasn’t optimizing so it was running out of memory , I have an iPad Air also , so I also put it into the storage on that , and turned it off ,then I deleted the things off of the phone that were already put into iCloud , when I turned around , it was almost spooky , it went on a search and destroy mission and completely wiped out almost 2,000 family pics and videos from all of the iCloud and anywhere it could find , then as soon as I powered up the iPad , it marched right in and wiped it out also , Apple support tracked all of it , unfortunately had no explanation , after 10 hrs + on the phone .

Jan 11, 2021 12:17 PM in response to PanheadPaul

iCloud is not an archiving service, it is a syncing service. So anything you add, delete, or modify on iCloud or any device connected to iCloud will be mirrored on all of the devices sharing an iCloud account. Thus, deleting photos from iCloud will also delete them from your phone, iPad or computer using that same iCloud account.

iCloud Backups are completely independent of data synced to iCloud. There is no overlap.

Jan 11, 2021 4:14 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I appreciate that information, first time I’ve heard anything that makes any sense

I must have goofed up somewhere , as I really was careful not to mess with anything in the cloud , that’s where I figured it would be safe , the people in service could see my , “trail “ and didn’t understand it either , nor could they understand why the phone wasn’t optimizing itself after backing up , I seem to be pretty good at finding a way to mess things up , usually by accident .

Is it ok to delete all iPhone old backups and keep only the most recent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.