You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old office files on new operating system

will my old excel and word files work on a new iMac

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 1:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 1:32 PM

Yes, the files are fine. However if you were using a 32 bit version of Office for Mac, you will need to buy Office for Mac 2016 or later (Office for Mac 2019 or subscribe to Office 365) in order to run the apps. Catalina and later versions of Mac OS will only support 64 bit apps so that is why you may need to upgrade your copy of Office for Mac. The first thing to do is check what version you have, y ou can do this in any of the apps (Word, Excel...) in the About ......

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2020 1:32 PM in response to AnnitaW

Yes, the files are fine. However if you were using a 32 bit version of Office for Mac, you will need to buy Office for Mac 2016 or later (Office for Mac 2019 or subscribe to Office 365) in order to run the apps. Catalina and later versions of Mac OS will only support 64 bit apps so that is why you may need to upgrade your copy of Office for Mac. The first thing to do is check what version you have, y ou can do this in any of the apps (Word, Excel...) in the About ......

Dec 10, 2020 1:35 PM in response to AnnitaW

How old?

What system is on the new iMac, Big Sur? If so then only MS Office 2019 or MS Office 365 will run. The same holds true with Catalina but MS Office 2016 with the latest software will work on Catalina. Not sure about Big Sur.

However there's a very good alternative which is the free LibreOffice. It can open, edit and save Excel and Word files in MS Office format or their own format. Apple's Pages and Numbers can do the same but not as effectively.

Dec 10, 2020 2:36 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your reply

I currently am using Mojave but I wanted to upgrade to Catalina I think is the newest version

until I read that old excel and Word files will not work

Now I have decided its time for a new iMac and am wondering how I can save a zillion old files in old office which i got in 2013 I think

I did a check and noticed by office programs are 32 bit. I can't afford to lose these files, hence the dilemma

Dec 10, 2020 2:39 PM in response to Old Toad

thank you for your reply My current iMac is 2013 and I want to buy a new one which will have a newer operating system. I read my old Office files won't work and I cant afford to lose them. My office programs are probably the same age

I will check the Libre Office I only use Office not pages/numbers, thank you for the advice

old office files on new operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.