You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an obsolete iMac (mid 2011) running an even older Word and Excel program from 2008. I a lot of important data using this software

If I upgrade to a brand new iMac will I be able to open my files?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 3:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 3:22 PM

dreadznot wrote:

Yes.

Newer Microsoft Office versions usually open older Office documents, and I’ve had success opening older Office documents—documents that Office itself could not open—using the (free) LibreOffice package.

You will need to purchase a newer version of Office with any recent version of macOS. That’s presently Office 2021 (full purchase) or the Office 365 subscription, or (free) LibreOffice, and (free) Apple iWork apps Pages, Numbers, and Keynote can read and write many Office documents.

Make sure you have a complete and current backup of your old Mac prior to upgrade. Worst case, the old environment can usually be reloaded as a guest in an add-on hypervisor, until this gets sorted out.

iMac 27” mid 2011 tops out at macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2021 3:22 PM in response to dreadznot

dreadznot wrote:

Yes.

Newer Microsoft Office versions usually open older Office documents, and I’ve had success opening older Office documents—documents that Office itself could not open—using the (free) LibreOffice package.

You will need to purchase a newer version of Office with any recent version of macOS. That’s presently Office 2021 (full purchase) or the Office 365 subscription, or (free) LibreOffice, and (free) Apple iWork apps Pages, Numbers, and Keynote can read and write many Office documents.

Make sure you have a complete and current backup of your old Mac prior to upgrade. Worst case, the old environment can usually be reloaded as a guest in an add-on hypervisor, until this gets sorted out.

iMac 27” mid 2011 tops out at macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

Oct 16, 2021 3:23 PM in response to dreadznot

Absolutely. You should know by now that your 2008 Word and Excel will have to be upgraded to work with a new iMac. Your data files, however, will open just. fine.

Microsoft offers two options. One is a subscription to Microsoft 365 which includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and 1TB of cloud storage that Microsoft has named OneDrive. The second option is a single license, one time purchase of Office 2021. I think it sells for $149 for the student/home user. Visit Microsoft's website for details.

I have an obsolete iMac (mid 2011) running an even older Word and Excel program from 2008. I a lot of important data using this software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.