You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacOS Terminal keeps losing connection to other server

I use my macOS Catalina Terminal app to connect to my home Ubuntu server. I also use putty.exe which is a Windows app.

My Mac Terminal app loses its connection to the Ubuntu server after X time of nonuse. Not sure what X is. But my Windows OS doesn't lose its connection at all. And yes, we're talking about them being connected at the same time.

Have looked in Mac's preferences but I can't find any stay alive type settings.

Anyone have any experience with this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 8:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 3:10 PM

On Linux (ssh)

To enable the keep alive system-wide (root access required), edit /etc/ssh/ssh_config; to set the settings for just your user, edit ~/.ssh/config (create the file if it doesn’t exist). Insert the following:

Host *
    ServerAliveInterval 300
    ServerAliveCountMax 2

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2020 3:10 PM in response to HWTech

On Linux (ssh)

To enable the keep alive system-wide (root access required), edit /etc/ssh/ssh_config; to set the settings for just your user, edit ~/.ssh/config (create the file if it doesn’t exist). Insert the following:

Host *
    ServerAliveInterval 300
    ServerAliveCountMax 2

My MacOS Terminal keeps losing connection to other server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.