You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie does not sync between iMac and MacBook Pro

While all my other applications like photos/calendar/mail/etc all sync between my iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone iMovie does not. Movies made on each device only appear in the Projects windows of the app. What am I missing about syncing these videos between devices?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 11:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 11:32 AM

Hi, James,

iMovie projects and the supporting media are stored in the iMovie library, not in the app itself. iMovie libraries cannot be stored in the Cloud and so they cannot be synced. You would need to put your iMovie library on an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then transfer the drive back and forth between your iMac and MacBookPro. Both computers should be running the same exact version of iMovie that was used to create the projects. NOTE: Reformatting a drive erases all data on it, so first back up any data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2020 11:32 AM in response to James Bauernfeind

Hi, James,

iMovie projects and the supporting media are stored in the iMovie library, not in the app itself. iMovie libraries cannot be stored in the Cloud and so they cannot be synced. You would need to put your iMovie library on an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then transfer the drive back and forth between your iMac and MacBookPro. Both computers should be running the same exact version of iMovie that was used to create the projects. NOTE: Reformatting a drive erases all data on it, so first back up any data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

Dec 12, 2020 12:38 PM in response to James Bauernfeind

You can share out the project as a standalone movie, and that will sync. It’s just that the library with the projects won’t sync. It is part of the architecture of iMovie. Being a consumer like youself, I don’t know what capabilities that future iterations of iMovie may hold. Nor do I know of other movie editing apps that might have syncing capability. There may well be some out there.

— Rich

iMovie does not sync between iMac and MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.