You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade

Hi,

I have an iMac mid 2010 which has been in storage since 2015/16. I was using it mainly for Logic X but I don't really intend on doing much music production now. It has 8GB ram and 2TB storage with an i5 processor.

My plan was to just upgrade to High Sierra through El Capitan first, but am wondering whether trading in for a newer machine (probably a mac-mini) is the better way to go.

Could I get away with using what is effectively a 5 year old machine (in terms of use) for just general use by installing the latest OS it can support?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 11:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 11:53 AM

Chances are you will not get any credit via Apple's Trade-In program for such an old iMac ... regardless on how long you actually used it ...

... so you basically have the two choices you have already mentioned:

1. Try getting some useful life out of the desktop by upgrading to macOS High Sierra. I believe it can support up to version 10.13.6.
  2. If you need a more capable Mac, and if cost is a factor, you can look at getting a refurbished one directly from Apple, or using a third-party reputable vendor, like OWC. Otherwise, if cost is not an issue, going with a new one from Apple.
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2020 11:53 AM in response to mac-man5

Chances are you will not get any credit via Apple's Trade-In program for such an old iMac ... regardless on how long you actually used it ...

... so you basically have the two choices you have already mentioned:

1. Try getting some useful life out of the desktop by upgrading to macOS High Sierra. I believe it can support up to version 10.13.6.
  2. If you need a more capable Mac, and if cost is a factor, you can look at getting a refurbished one directly from Apple, or using a third-party reputable vendor, like OWC. Otherwise, if cost is not an issue, going with a new one from Apple.

upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.