You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Word

I have many documents on my old version of Word that I need to recover, but the old version won’t open to allow that. I have the latest version downloaded. How do I access my old documents

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 8:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 11:18 AM

Give the free LibreOffice app a try. It can open, edit and save Word files to Word formats or it's own format.

Also Pages should be able to open and save Word documents to Word format or it's own format. It's compatibility is not as complete as LibroOffice.

6 replies

Dec 19, 2020 10:17 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi VikingOSX,

Not that I'm aware of. Though I think you mean depending on which direction the user is trying to go.

I had no trouble opening old .doc files in the current release of Office 365. Some I tested were back from 2001 and had no extension. Surprisingly, the OS still recognized them as Word documents. I've read more than once the OS no longer looks at Type/Creator codes. But that apparently isn't true, or it wouldn't know what to make of them at all without the extension.

Word 2007 Windows and 2008 Mac is when the XML format became the default as .docx files. Word 2004 can have XML ability added with an update. Older versions of Word won't know what to do with them. They'd have to be opened in a newer version of Word and then saved as a .doc copy.

Dec 19, 2020 11:50 AM in response to VikingOSX

…though certainly used it considerably in my former corporate enslavement years.

😄 We use it to make sure we don't have compatibility issues with our clients. Once we shut the business down and retire not too many years from now, I'm not sure if we're going to continue with Office (MS says the name is now Microsoft 365), or switch to a free alternative such as LibreOffice. But I really like Outlook and detest Mail.

Microsoft Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.