You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur: Mac OS 9 INSIDE?? What in the world is this?

Could someone please explain WHAT ARE THESE ICONS DOING INSIDE macOS BIG SUR????

At first I thought I got a virus or something, but the thing is that before upgrading (from Mojave) these didn't appear like those weird icons. I don't believe a software downloaded from the App Store (Big Sur) would include a virus so I discarded that possibility. I didn't install any other thing apart from Big Sur for those icons to appear (it was immediate). Someone knows what may have happened? Is this expected from Big Sur? Are we returning to the Classic Environment era of my childhood? Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 7:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 7:00 AM

It was inside the Epson Software folder, called Print CD. Apparently it would claim any file without a default application as "OldDoc" type and apply that weird icon. I just compress that folder and pasted the original application icon on it to leave it unusable for now. The reason I searched for a system extension is that it wouldn't matter which "Open With..." option I would choose at "Get Info", that very old CD icon would always show. Now it's working fine; original macOS blank icon!

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2021 7:00 AM in response to Barney-15E

It was inside the Epson Software folder, called Print CD. Apparently it would claim any file without a default application as "OldDoc" type and apply that weird icon. I just compress that folder and pasted the original application icon on it to leave it unusable for now. The reason I searched for a system extension is that it wouldn't matter which "Open With..." option I would choose at "Get Info", that very old CD icon would always show. Now it's working fine; original macOS blank icon!

Jan 5, 2021 8:20 PM in response to Barney-15E

Text Edit, another detail to take into consideration is that when I first installed Big Sur a notification appeared stating that I had to enable a Disc Soft extension that had been updated (apparently from Daemon Tools). I uninstalled it but this icons still appear. I have just done a test and apparently if I save the file with a txt extension the normal icon shows. But if the file doesn't have any extension, those weird icons reappear! Also very rare, if I do command click on the file bar from the application (document path), a Unity 3D document icon shows which isn't the one shown by Finder!

Big Sur: Mac OS 9 INSIDE?? What in the world is this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.