You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps stops turn by turn directions when music is paused

When I use Apple Maps with voice assistance while listening to music, when I pause the music, it also pauses the turn by turn directions. Most of the time when I need to pause the music to focus on driving, it is also when I need the voice assistance to know which lane, what turn, etc.

How do I pause my music without pausing the Apple Maps voice assistance?

I’m using the most recent iOS, Apple Maps, and Spotify apps. iPhone XS Max.

Thanks in advance!

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 12:19 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 7, 2021 2:40 PM in response to Yankeefan2885

Hi Yankeefan2885,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, when you are using Apple Maps and listening to music on Spotify and you pause the music on Spotify, you are no longer able to hear the turn by turn directions, do we have that right? You mentioned the iOS being up to date (running 14.3), is your Spotify app also up to date?

Update apps or use automatic downloads

Does this happen after forcing both apps to close and restarting your iPhone?

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone

Hope that helps!

Jan 9, 2021 1:19 PM in response to Yankeefan2885

Yankeefan2885,

Thank you for that information. Are you connected to your car via bluetooth or CarPlay when this happens? Does it happen if you're not connected to the car? Does it make a difference if the setting "Pause Spoken Audio" is off or on?

Change audio settings for turn-by-turn directions in Maps on iPhone

If this continues, you may want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. You may be able to reach them here: Get Support

Take Care!

Apple Maps stops turn by turn directions when music is paused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.