You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More photos exported then what was selected?

I'm trying to export photos from the Photos app onto my external hard drive. I've selected 2,664 photos gone file<export<export unmodified and selected the hard drive. After the export has completed I now have 3000 items.

I've gone through a lot of the photos and there doesn't seem to be any duplicates. There are a couple aae. files but no where near 400.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 5:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 10:16 AM

Do you shoot RAW files at all. If you do they are grouped together with their corresponding JPEG brother and appear as one (i.e. stacked) in the library. That could help account for the difference.

Also live photos would be exported as a jpeg and a movie file. Another source of the discrepancy.

And lastly you could be exporting "bursts" photos. They show up as a single item in the library but can export as many.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 12, 2021 10:16 AM in response to billyboy222

Do you shoot RAW files at all. If you do they are grouped together with their corresponding JPEG brother and appear as one (i.e. stacked) in the library. That could help account for the difference.

Also live photos would be exported as a jpeg and a movie file. Another source of the discrepancy.

And lastly you could be exporting "bursts" photos. They show up as a single item in the library but can export as many.

More photos exported then what was selected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.