You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

When I import a photo from my hard drive to Photos, do I have the option to leave the photo in the folder where it resides?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 7:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 7:59 AM

Hi

Yes, but don't do it. You are talking about the referenced file model, and the Photos app is not a suitable app for that model. Here is some background.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002591

4 replies

Nov 13, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Cmdr

Consider a small, portable, external SSD to carry with your MBP. I highly recommend those from OWC (MacSales.com). Look at what they have to offer and then contact their Customer Support to find out which of their external, portable SSDs would be best for your needs and budget.

If you had a reference library you'd still have to carry the EHD the source files are on with you so you might as well have a referenced library. It you were to open Photos without the referenced files mounted you could break the link to them and be back at square one.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.