You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 10 GB Connection to Synology NAS

Hello everyone.

I purchased a new Mac Mini with 16 GB and a 1 TB drive. I want to use it for video editing so I purchased CalDigit Connect 10 GB Thunderbolt 3 to Ethernet adapter to connect to my Synology NAS device. I want to edit the videos directly on the NAS

After some fooling around I finally got it to connect over the Thunderbolt interface and have write speeds of 580 MB/s and Read speeds of 1002 MB/s which is fantastic.

Here is the problem. If I reboot or restart the Mac Mini defaults to the 1GB Ethernet internet interface and the only way to fix it is to disconnect the 1 GB Ethernet cable, open a few files on the NAS using only the 10GB interface. After reconnecting I can then again plug in the 1 GB ethernet cable and all is well. Its annoying to have to always unplug the 1 GB Ethernet internet interface every time I reboot or restart. Any ideas.

On windows you just create a shortcut to the IP address of the high speed interface and another shortcut to the slower 1GB Ethernet internet connection and then you can choose which connection you would like to use.

Is there anything similar on MAC?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 5:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 8:20 AM

Here's what I would do:

1. set the 1GbE port IP address to an IP address on your LAN which will provide routable internet access.
  2. set the Mac Mini CalDigit TB 10GbE IP address to a non routable (self assigned) static IP address in the 169.254.x.y range in the System Preferences / Network <CalDigit TB 10GbE connection>.
  3. On the Synology set its 10GbE IP address to a non routable (self assigned) static IP address in the 169.254.x.z range.
  4. x in the step 2 & 3 should be the same but y and z should be different, e.g. 169.254.10.10 (Mac) & 169.354.10.11 (NAS)
  5. In the Finder use the CMD-K (menu Go / Connect to Server...) command to connect the Mac Mini and the NAS using the NAS IP address set in steps 3, e.g. smb://169.254.x.z (169.254.10.11 as in step 4 example). Select the NAS share from the popup & enter NAS share User ID & Password. Select to store the NAS share password in your Keychain file.
  6. In the Finder preferences (CMD-,) turn on General / Show these items on the desktop: / Connected servers. This should add your NAS share as an icon on your desktop.
  7. Open Systems Preferences / Users & Groups / <Your User ID> / Login Items. Drag the NAS share icon from the desktop to the Login Items list. This will create a short cut that will auto connect and mount the NAS share when you log into the Mac Mini.
  8. Optionally, the desktop share icon can be dragged to the sidebar of the Finder to create a shortcut for direct access to the share in the Finder.
  9. After testing by logging out and then back in you can optionally use the Finder preferences again and remove displaying network shares on the desktop.

This should provide you a direct 10GbE connection between your NAS and the Mac Mini M1 for accessing NAS shares and provide a 1GbE connection for accessing the internet. I have use this procedure successfully using a Qnap NAS 10GbE port > 10 GbE to TB adapter > MacBook Pro TB port. I also use a similar procedure on my dual 10GbE 2019 Mac Pro.

Hope this helps...

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2021 8:20 AM in response to jbandes

Here's what I would do:

1. set the 1GbE port IP address to an IP address on your LAN which will provide routable internet access.
  2. set the Mac Mini CalDigit TB 10GbE IP address to a non routable (self assigned) static IP address in the 169.254.x.y range in the System Preferences / Network <CalDigit TB 10GbE connection>.
  3. On the Synology set its 10GbE IP address to a non routable (self assigned) static IP address in the 169.254.x.z range.
  4. x in the step 2 & 3 should be the same but y and z should be different, e.g. 169.254.10.10 (Mac) & 169.354.10.11 (NAS)
  5. In the Finder use the CMD-K (menu Go / Connect to Server...) command to connect the Mac Mini and the NAS using the NAS IP address set in steps 3, e.g. smb://169.254.x.z (169.254.10.11 as in step 4 example). Select the NAS share from the popup & enter NAS share User ID & Password. Select to store the NAS share password in your Keychain file.
  6. In the Finder preferences (CMD-,) turn on General / Show these items on the desktop: / Connected servers. This should add your NAS share as an icon on your desktop.
  7. Open Systems Preferences / Users & Groups / <Your User ID> / Login Items. Drag the NAS share icon from the desktop to the Login Items list. This will create a short cut that will auto connect and mount the NAS share when you log into the Mac Mini.
  8. Optionally, the desktop share icon can be dragged to the sidebar of the Finder to create a shortcut for direct access to the share in the Finder.
  9. After testing by logging out and then back in you can optionally use the Finder preferences again and remove displaying network shares on the desktop.

This should provide you a direct 10GbE connection between your NAS and the Mac Mini M1 for accessing NAS shares and provide a 1GbE connection for accessing the internet. I have use this procedure successfully using a Qnap NAS 10GbE port > 10 GbE to TB adapter > MacBook Pro TB port. I also use a similar procedure on my dual 10GbE 2019 Mac Pro.

Hope this helps...

Jan 18, 2021 1:38 AM in response to jbandes

I'm glad it worked out. I understand the frustration of not receiving adequate help only to be passed off to technical support documents that don't address the issue and then to be told to contact 3rd party HW manufacturers.

I should have also pointed out that you will want too ensure the 10GbE network interfaces on the Mac Mini and NAS are using jumbo frames (9000 MTU) speeds to achieve the maximum 10GbE transfer rate. On the Mac Mini that setting is in the System Preferences / Network / <CalDigit TB 10GbE connection> / Advanced... / Hardware / MTU: setting. You will need to select Manual under the Configure: setting to change the MTU: setting to Jumbo (9000). A similar setting should be available on the Synology NAS under its 10GbE HW port.

Good luck and enjoy...

Jan 16, 2021 1:17 PM in response to jdo_apple

Hello I read your helpful articles but still can't fix my problem.

I have 2 interfaces connected to my Mac mini M1. One is named "Ethernet" and its the built in Ethernet adapter on the Mac mini M1. The second network interface is a Digitech Thunderbolt 3 10GB high speed adapter and it is named "Thunderbolt Ethernet Slot 1". This high speed 10 GB interface is connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port on the Mac mini M1 and is directly connected to a 10 GB port on my Synology NAS.

The problem is that if I turn on my Mac mini M1 it defaults to connect to the built in Ethernet connection and does not use the High Speed 10GB connection to my Synology NAS. If I remove the Ethernet connection and boot up the Mac mini M1 it does connect to the NAS using the 10 GB high speed connection but then I have no internet. If I then plug in the Ethernet connection once the 10 GB connection is already established PERFECT. I get internet over the 1GB connection and 10GB to the NAS but again if I reboot it all defaults back to the 1GB connection and I have to unplug that connection to force it to use the 10GB connection and then plug it back in. Very annoying.

Your article gave me an idea so I reversed the order of the interfaces on the MAC in Networking and booted up. I has happy because the NAS was connected to the 10GB connection but even though the 1GB NIC card said it was connected and had an IP address I again had no internet.

This time I switched the order and then put it back and again both worked but its so silly that I either have to unplug the 1GB ethernet connection or go into networking and manually switch them around to get both to work. Isn't there a way to say to the 10GB connection, if you are the 10GB connection (using a Mac hardware ID) connect the the NAS and if you are the 1GB connection give my Mac mini M1 internet access over the 1GB ports.

Seems so silly that I have to keep doing it manually.

Thanks again.

Jan 17, 2021 7:08 AM in response to jbandes

jbandes,

We understand that changing priority in your network System Preferences did not resolve the issue. Since the behavior persists we recommend reaching out to the manufacturer of your networking accessory to see if they have any advice for usage. If the issue continues at that point we recommend reviewing support options in your region here: Get Support

Take care.

Jan 17, 2021 8:31 PM in response to wjpjr

I wanted to take a moment to thank you. This worked perfectly. I also created a folder and changed the folder icon to a small NAS computer. I then dragged all of the shares in that folder to the User Group Login Items and then unchecked the show connected servers. Now my desktop has an Icon only for my Synology NAS and I can get to all the shared. I just copied 175 GB of data in under 4 Minutes. My write speed is about 500 MB/s and my Read speed is 1000 MB/s. I can't thank you enough. No more trying to do it manually every time. Thank you so very much.

Jan 18, 2021 11:36 AM in response to wjpjr

Yes it is so annoying when to dont receive competent technical support. When I called Synology I was told by the tech support that what I was attempting to do was not even supported. I told him that they sold a dual 10 GB ethernet card and that if it wasn't possible why do they sell the card? All I wanted to do was connect my PC and my Mac mini over high speed connections. you have clearly shown that it is possible and now it is working on both my PC and my Mac. I did adjust the MTU on all connections to 9,000. hopefully this message will be out there now for any others having this challenge. Thanks again so much for your fantastic instructions. Now I can use Final Cut and DaVinci resolve and edit video directly off my NAS. Happy Holidays.

Mac Mini M1 10 GB Connection to Synology NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.