You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music vs iTunes

I am trying to buy a single song without joining Apple Music. Is this possible?

OS = Catalina

I click on the iTunes tab. Enter a song into the search bar top left. Select the song to play a sample, but instead of hearing any music, up pops the advert for me to sign up to Apple Music. When I click Not Now, the music sample does not play, and nor do I get a Buy Now button.

Please help me buy single songs, without having to sign up to Apple Music (even for the free 3 month trial).

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 9:19 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 19, 2021 9:58 PM in response to Apple8myPC

Apple8myPC wrote:
...I click the iTunes tab on the left.

What "iTunes tab on the left," are you referring to?" This is partially what I see in the sidebar:

Clicking on "iTunes Store" reveals:

Where I can sample/purchase individual selections.

Clicking on "Search" / "iTunes Store" and entering text reveals:

Which turns up the same results.

I never see a "pop up."

Jan 19, 2021 9:37 PM in response to Ferd II

Hi Ferd II,

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my post, I click the iTunes tab on the left. So your suggestion to tick the box to show the iTunes store is a bit redundant. What I am asking, is after I have clicked on the iTunes tab, which shows up in the Music App (because it is ticked in the settings), and search for a song, and then select that song from the list. All I get is the pop up advert to join Apple Music. I can find no way to avoid this pop up, which prevents me from playing a sample of the song, or from purchasing the song. Please help.

Jan 19, 2021 9:43 PM in response to Apple8myPC

So you click on the iTunes tab. Then you enter a song into the search bar top left. Hit enter, and the iTunes tab stops being highlighted. It jumps out of iTunes. There is nothing I can do to stop it. A cynical person would accuse Apple of making life difficult for those who do not want to sign up for Apple Music, and just buy a song every now and then.

Apple Music vs iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.